Monday, July 28, 2008

Goals

"We set goals not for what we GET, but for who we BECOME" -Andrew Matthews

His book truly inspire me. This quote reminds me, that setting aims and goals and going with it may get what we want in the end, thus the goal. But in the process it changes you too, be it physically, psychologically or something. In his example from his book, he said that sometimes we read in the papers about somebody going from Calcutta to Casablanca in a Camel or something. 

We might ask ourselves "Why not take a plane??"

The very simple answer is... If we travel by Camel, we would arrive a very different person than the one who left.

You will know alot more about the stars and navigation. You would learn how to traverse across the desert. You would learn more about yourself, your limits, your courage.. the list goes on..

Buying a plane ticket does not have the same effect.

That is why sometimes people don't understand why somebody else has to go to such lengths to do something, be it learning a new language, get a degree, or in my case, learn how to unicycle.

I feel it is interesting and I recognise the values/life lessons I can get in the process. And learning never stops. When should I quit? When I can cycle and do some simple stunts I guess... Now I'm still in the process of free mounting... I wonder if it is me restricting myself from practicing because of all the faces I get. Yet I don't "feel" these faces when I'm not alone.. I guess practicing alone takes alot of courage... Like my incident when I was so shameless to go west coast park and try to cycle... Instead I got severe injuries in my knees and elbows and had to shamelessly go back to my former employer, McDonald's, and cox I worked that branch, they recognised me... Luckily they had a first aid box.. if not my road home would be even more embarrassing.. As if my blood stained pants doesn't tell anything to those straying eyes...

Had a minor fear of uni-ing after tt, but overcame that cox I really really want to ride it.. And endurance is self talk... ok this is no link to you but linkssss to me... hahaha





Some parts are from Andrew Matthews' book, Happiness Now.

No comments: