Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Food and my endless pit of a stomach.

Well well well.

This is about my family outing today. Went to a restaurant at Penisula Plaza recommended by a channel U show that tells you "oh the products sold here are cheaper by [insert] than [insert] "

It was advertised in the program that per pax is $20.90. We went there and the price tag has risen to $22.90 per pax. Asking the manager later got us an answer that goes like this "Oh, we increased the price on July 1st." That was not what we wanted to hear.. Or at least not a customer wants to hear. We want to hear something like maybe a "justified" or "reason". Not just the facts. 

As this was an all-you-can-eat dinner. We ordered quite a few dishes. The standard were a so-so as the portions were small and some of the dishes, especially fish, which i am quite sensitive to, were not fresh. Or, not as fresh. Chilli crab was a small crab. Eating crab is hard enough. Other than the pincers, the other thin meat in the legs can be pushed out with a chopstick. Not with the tiny fellow!

Prawns were alright. Dessert was, unexpectedly poor. I expected more from the favourite course of my meals, if i have the money that is. The "mixed fruit sago" has 99% of the mixed fruit to be small chunks of watermelon. And the other fruits were unidentifiable. The white liquid, which i suppose to have some milky taste to it, tasted like plain water with white food colouring. Later i found out the cause in one of the bowls i ate [i devoured 4 bowls of this dessert] there is a small ice cube in the bowl. That solves the problem! There is like a big pot, and to keep the dessert cool, ice is added to the pot without regard to the quality of the dessert. They could at least put the pot in a bigger pot of ice water. At least retain the taste of the dessert and satisfy your customers.

Due to my shrinking wallet and my frozen bank deposits, im trying very hard to starve myself from all the temptations around me. And by all, i mean the general term food. When i had money, i drank 2 cups of bubble tea a day. This is with my normal meals. And i feel 70-80% full after that, which is not bad actually. 

Today had to eat kaki fuyong with 2 bowls of rice. To stave of my hunger pangs of course. In a bid to be hungrier later, eat more. But due to my mindset that brain consumes sugar like a black hole sucks stars, my hunger pangs are getting more frequent and more acute. I eat non-stop. I don't have money for it. And it is due to "high metabolism" as said by a doctor i saw on May this year. $50 a fortnight allowance is not helping. I drained my hard earned savings serving people at banquet and being scolded by the producers at Mediacorp on food. Food alone has certainly ate up my savings. What to do now, with limited allowance and frozen savings.. I would have to plan my food intake. "How" is the next question which i seriously have no answer for it. A recent newspaper article said that obese people eat about 20% more food than the average Joe and is threatening the global food stocks.  Add me to that "eat too much for your own good" list even though I'm UNDERWEIGHT.

I don't know about this, but is my thinking shaping my eating habits? My thinking now is "Brain shall shutdown if BrainFood is below threshold of [insert]" I fear for my brain and I fear for my dangerously high sugar intake, not as in carbohydrates, but sugary food and drinks, especially sugary drinks. I have a weak spot for them. But these "empty calories" which do not provide any nutrition other than energy is also discouraged by scientists. I fear for my uber low intake of calcium. Milk is a tough spot. I don't know why, but sometimes I feel very queasy after drinking milk or consuming dairy products such as cheese. 

Andrew Matthews said that it is our personal thinking and beliefs that shape our world, or how we see the world. These beliefs become our perspective. They are the lenses through which we see the world. Changing them would definitely take lots of effort and lots more of time. But I hope to reduce food spending such that I can feel full and not spend too much. That, is a goal, albeit a far far one. And I know, change will always be met with obstacles. 


ITR/FMM is going well. Improving language shall be my secondary goal. I want to be proficient in the languages to write essays in blog posts. Arguing stuff that I uphold. Like, "Does holding up one's principals equates to inflexibility?" That is the question in my mind right now, because that's what i was told in my screen, well, via msn.


Till then.


No comments: